A child is dead and six others hospitalized after suffering apparent carbon-monoxide poisoning in the indoor-pool area of the Quality Inn of Niles, Mich.
Two others treated for carbon monoxide-related exposure included a Niles police officer and Berrien County deputy.
Bryan Douglas Watts, 13, was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital after the incident at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles, southwestern MI. They range from ages 10 to 14.
Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
A malfunctioning pool heater at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles is being blamed for the death of a young boy and for sending about a dozen to area hospitals. Other patients were taken to nearby Lakeland Hospital.
Wise said a pool heater could have caused the problem, but that is still under investigation.
First responders arrived on scene and evacuated the children, who were taken to area hospitals.
The Fire Department also said it found one of the children in a first-floor room unconscious and not breathing after family members alerted authorities.The child said she had just come from the pool. Police said she had just been in the pool area with the other children.
The hotel has been shut down until repairs are made. The Environmental Protection Agency advises that a person should not remain in a room for more than an hour if the carbon monoxide levels are 35 parts per million. Normally, the safety code permits 50 parts per million.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that is produced when a fuel is burned.
Officials say they found another girl unresponsive when they cleared the hotel's rooms.
"At those levels, they don't have much time before they go unresponsive", Wise told CBS Detroit.