Trump Slams 'Failing New York Times' For Foiling ISIS Leader's Capture

Baghdadi is still alive: US Defense Secretary

The Times wrote a story Sunday saying President Donald Trump was wrong when he tweeted Saturday morning that the "failing" New York Times "foiled" a government attempt to kill al-Baghdadi, apparently a reaction to Fox's story.

On Monday, Rhoades-Ha said in an e-mail that the segment that aired earlier that day "wasn't an apology, nor did it begin to address the larger issues with the Fox & Friends Weekend segment, one of which was sheer hypocrisy".

Fox News used an interview from General Tony Thomas who blamed a prominent national newspaper for exposing Baghdadi's whereabouts causing the lead to go dead a week later.

Fox & Friends that morning reported "al-Baghdadi was able to sneak away under the cover of darkness after a New York Times story" and that the USA government "would have had al-Baghdadi based on the intelligence that we had except someone leaked information to the failing New York Times".

"Their sick agenda over National Security", he added.

The report claims the Times released information pertaining to a military raid carried out in Syria, leading to the death of one of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's key lieutenants, Abu Sayyaf.

The New York Times' demand for an apology from Twenty-First Century Fox Inc (NASDAQ: FOX) is part of a long line of media mea culpas either granted or denied for slights real or perceived.

The New York Times is asking Fox News' morning show "Fox & Friends" to apologize for what the newspaper calls a "malicious and inaccurate segment" about the newspaper, intelligence leaks and the Islamic State that aired Saturday.

A Fox News host over the weekend blamed the Times for publishing information from a military raid in Syria; the publication of that information, a US general claimed recently, thwarted an attempt to find Baghdadi.

Fox News has updated the report on its website and attached the letter. Several media outlets reported about it at the time, including the Times and Fox News. Tony Thomas, head of the USA special operations command, by Fox correspondent Catherine Herridge. At that gathering, General Tony Thomas-head of the USA military's Special Operations Command-reportedly said that American forces at one point came "particularly close" to Baghdadi after a 2015 raid recovered information about the Islamic State group.

Writer Eric Schmitt reported that American intelligence officials seized a wealth of data on "how the organization's shadowy leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, operates and tries to avoid being tracked by coalition forces". She said the online story was changed to reflect comment from the Times after the newspaper reached out. For starters, they write, the Pentagon first made the announcement about Sayyaf - not them.

The Times said the gap between when the raid became public and when it published its June story is critical.

The Times said that story was described to officials in the Pentagon before it was published and no objections were raised.

In its letter to Fox News, the Times also said the network did not reach out the paper for comment.

Share

Related News